Place: H20 Waterfront Condominiums
Address: 480 - 500 Waterfront Drive (Map)
Architect: MMP Architects
The land that makes up 480 - 500 Waterfront Drive spent most of its urbanized life as a lumberyard.
The Empire Sash and Door company was created in 1905 at 7 Argyle Street and Henry Avenue and over the decades grew to take in the land behind it. The warehouse and offices at Argyle and Henry burned down in 1968 but the flames spared the cash and carry lumberyard to the south which reopened soon after.
In 1972 Empire sold out to Saveway Building Supplies who operated from the site until 1979. When Waterfront Drive was created in 2000 the land was owned by Gateway Soap Limited.
In 2007 CentreVenture owned the 1.5 acre site and began seeking developers to construct housing. In March 2011 council approved the H20 Waterfront condominium project.
Phase one, called H20 One, will create 86 one and two bedroom units ranging from 700 to 1,100 square feet. It is expected to be ready in spring 2012. H20 Two got underway in Summer 2012 and will consist of rental units.
Facebook Page (with construction photos)
Affordable on Waterfront Winnipeg Free Press (Mar 2011)
Waterfront Condos Get Approved Bill Thiessen.com
Waterfront set for leap forward Winnipeg Free Press (April 2011)